Gastric Foreign Body vs. Esophageal Foreign Body
Left picture: The suspected foreign body is a button battery, the size of which is recognizable in comparison with the clip above the battery. In addition, the alteration of the battery because of its environment is visible in the figure at the bottom of the same side with a new battery on the left side of the swallowed battery. Not only toddlers (which is the preferred age for taking foreign bodies in the mouth and swallowing them unexpectedly), but also infants who put everything they can grab in the mouth may exhibit vomiting, dysphagia and regurgitation because of ingested foreign bodies. In the presented case the foreign body must be endoscopically removed as quickly as possible to avert the danger of its toxicity, and not because of its size of merely 8-9 mm, which usually allows a spontaneous passage through the gastrointestinal tract. Ingested foreign bodies may, depending on the shape, the size and the position, get stuck in the esophagus, gastric antrum, duodenal bulbus, or more distally, and lead to the mentioned symptoms. Right picture: Here, the unusual shape of the foreign body is probably the reason for getting stuck in the esophagus at the level of the aortic arch and for the resulting symptoms. Compare the removed foreign body on the picture at the bottom of the same side.
Left picture: Plain abdominal x-ray in a 7-month-old infant, in whom the mother observed some chocking, and is missing a battery. A round and isodense foreign body lies probably in the gastric antrum. Notice the shape of the air in the upper belly on the left side of the foreign body. Right picture: Contrast study of the upper gastrointestinal tract in a female toddler who was choking on the attempt to swallow solid feeds, bringing them up immediately. The contrast is entering the stomach, but leaves a contrast defect in the esophagus, with a strange shape.